I was able to interview a counselor. I wanted to know some of their opinion on stress. The following are the response I gather.
Advisor Jessica Davis
19 February 2012
Karla Garcia (Case Manager)
- Is stress different between teens and adults?
Yes, it is different
Teens worry more about school, fitting in with people, being accepted by their peers and their parents.
Adults worry more about working, money (issues) families.
Is possible that teens do have more stress than adults due to their Frontal Cortices. It does not developed into you are 24 years old.
- What would be a reason why teens are facing a lot of stress?
I think teens have a lot of stress because of social networks; they also have peer pressure, pressure due to media. They try to fit in.
- What affects does stress cause in the body?
The causes that stress does to your body is by headache, stomach, neck pains. It would depend on how is the stress.
- What part of your body suffers the consequences of stress?
I think is your mind, but mostly it would be your brain.
- Is stress different between teen girls and teen boys?
Yes, I think there is.
Girls would worry about what they are due to media
Boys could worry about fitting in.
- What is a way teens could alleviate their stress?
Talking to someone
- What is a usual sign that a teen is stressed out?
When someone cannot sleep
Drop from grades.
- If a teen is alone most of the time, would it affect their stress?
Yes it would because they could start feeling depress.
- Why do we experience stress most of the time?
We have it when we cannot control things.
- How serious can stress get?
Stress could get very serious.
You could have mental health issues.
- What is good stress?
Stress is good to motivate you. To get where you want to be.
- What can a teen do when they feel stressed out?
Talk to a friend
Create a schedule of death lines
Talk to a school counselor or a teacher that you trust.
- Where can a stressed teen get help?
Going to their parents
Have an iPhone? Check out all 200+ new features coming in iOS 13.